[alberg30] Re: Gudgeon/pintle system

stephen sousa stephen=sousa%eng%emchop1 at fishbowl02.lss.emc.com
Tue Nov 10 05:01:45 PST 1998

From: "stephen sousa" <stephen=sousa%eng%emchop1 at fishbowl02.lss.emc.com>

Greg,

The task can be done with the Alberg on a trailer. The main issue is
drilling and taping the hole as straight as possible in that position.
The pin which was in the rudder seemed to be machined in the original
set-up, I tried to use an easy-out which didn't work. The reason I went
with 1/2" stock was to provide more meat at the shoe and increase the
number of years in between replacing pins. Another thought was to place a
delrin socket in the shoe and place the pin in the delrin socket. It was
cost prohibitive due to the machining cost so I installed the pin and shoe
which worked out well.

Stephen Sousa
Carina Vela
-------------
Original Text
From: "greg vandenberg" <fashionguy at ameritech.net>, on 11/9/98 1:34 PM:
From: greg vandenberg <fashionguy at ameritech.net>

Stephen...

				when you replaced your pin with the 3/8 threaded rod
... were you able to
do this with the rudder still in the boat?  Better... can it be done with
the
rudder in the boat. Seams it might be the only area of the rudder I need to
repair. Soooo... I would have to have enough clearance under the rudder to
drill and run a tap? Or is there already a hole for the existing worn pin
or
was it all cast at the same time. #312 sits on a trailer with about 12" of
clearance, I could find a little more if I put her on a ramp.  What's your
take?

Kindest regards,
greg vandenberg