[alberg30] Re: wheel steering / Mike McGovern

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue Nov 17 13:03:47 PST 1998

Mike,
    Many thanks for letting me look at your boat Sunday, and the
wheel-steering installation. I trust I got everything back o.k. Inherit
the Wind is a nice boat. Did you buy it from Tom Tursi? Did he install
the wheel? It follows the Edson standard installation S-216-2 very
closely. Must have been a job getting it in in those tight quarters. I
guess the engine was out when they did it.

    Your wheel would fit my cockpit very well - far enough aft to clear
the Bomar hatch I installed right over the engine. Climbing around the
22 inch wheel seems not to be a problem.

    I wonder how they dropped the rudderpost far enough to get the
quadrant on it under the sole, and if they cut a 1/4 inch keyway in the
post or used set screws? Anybody else have any ideas?

    I also like your bow pulpit with the nice little step to handle the
anchor ahead of the forestay. Someone told me yours had a bowsprit, but
it is really a nice extended pulpit, not a bowsprit.

    Nice people at your club there at Hance Point. I did not see either
Jay, but spoke to some other owners.

                                                - Gordon White