[alberg30] Re: Running backstays

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sat Nov 21 09:21:53 PST 1998

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

This is the 'judgement call" that is really a question that a professional
should answer for us, namely, would our rig as it stands, ie; two lower and an
upper shroud, with permanent backstay at the masthead, be able to withstand
the forward pull of a staysail stay mounted on the mast somewhere in the
vicinity of the spreaders without additional support from the aft direction.
Would the aft lower that we have be sufficient? We all agree that the A30 mast
is heavier than it has to be.
The cape dory mentioned may have been built with an aft lower shroud that has
a wider angle reaching aft to support the staysail stay. I don't know. What I
do know, is that with a deck stepped mast on a boat that is 30 years old, I
would make sure of exactly what I was doing if I was contemplating any rig
changes, particularly for a heavy weather staysail.
What do you think?
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255