[alberg30] Bilge

Amy & David Swanson zira at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 22 17:10:24 PST 1998

I know there was a thread on bilges lately, but I didn't save it because
I didn't think I needed to.  Wrong!  Anyway, I have #229, an old style
boat.  There is a deep sump located under the engine.  The bottom of the
sump appeared to be fiberglass.  This weekend, while replacing my bilge
pump, a section of the floor of the sump came up, revealing some wood,
and a lot of trash (bolts, hose clamps, etc.).  Apparently the bottom of
the keel was filled up with wood, then covered with resin (~3/8"
thick).  What, if anything, do I need to do about this?  I can't really
clean the area out without pulling the engine.  It can't be good to let
all this sit in bilge water (although it appears that the bilge water
has been getting in for a long time).  I thought someone mentioned that
there is a deeper area below the battery boxes where you can put a bilge
pump.  Is this correct?  If so, how do you get access to it - cut a hole
in the bottom of the battery box?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

dls
Strayaway Child