[alberg30] what is this? big teak thing

alberg30 alberg30 at planet.net
Wed Oct 14 18:47:35 PDT 1998

From: "alberg30" <alberg30 at planet.net>

Here's another "what is this thing?" question for the group:

When I bought #499, the boat was complete and came with a few spare parts
and accessories. Inside the v-berth, besides the table hanging on the
ceiling,  was a long piece of teak about 12-16 inches wide and more than 6
feet long. (I think its more than 1 inch thick. Its not plywood.)  It
appeared to be finished with either stain or teak oil. At either end, on
the bottom side, it had what looked like two other pieces of teak that
created a sort of channel. Both the ends of the board were cut at slight
angles, and all edges were rounded. It didn't appear to be an amateur
project. This was   a substantial piece of teak with a near professional
finish.

At first I thought maybe it was a lee board or something, but there were no
places to put this board anywhere inside. It didn't stow anywhere, and it
was longer than than every bunk except maybe the ones in the main cabin.
This board did not match the dark mahogany satin of the interior, it was
more teak color.

Just for grins I thought maybe this was a missing piece that turned the two
seatees in the main cabin into a queen size love nest, but it wasn't wide
enough, and the channels on the bottom didn't match up with the edges of
the seatees.

Next I lugged this thing on deck and fooled around with it in the cockpit,
and discovered that it seemed to fit, sort of, in the cockpit as a table
which laid across the combings about midway in the cockpit. The two
channels rested in the teak combings, sort of. But if its a table, you
can't walk around it, because it blocks the cockpit- completely. ( Its not
a spare combing.) What is it?

Is this a 90 lb lee board or something?

Is it a plank for wayward crewmembers? "Arr, matey, you drank all the rum,
so you get to walk the plank..."

Maybe its a gangplank, but at 12-16 inches you better be able to walk a
straight line back from the pub at the quay.

Is this a cockpit table? If so, why is it only 12-16 inches wide, but more
than 6 feet long? What the hell kinda table is that? Where do you stow this
thing? It weighs a whole lot and I'd hate to have this thing flying around
down below.

Is this even original? Was it part of the A30 or some aftermarket idea.

I have lugged this thing cross country twice. I'm thinking its so
unpractical as a table, that maybe the teak is better used as something
else.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Joe #499
"One Less Traveled"