[alberg30] Re: Rudder post

J.Sousa jsss at net1plus.com
Tue Oct 6 12:54:14 PDT 1998

From: "J.Sousa" <jsss at net1plus.com>

Since you guys have wheel steering, I would assume that you have a
stuffing box on the rudder post.  With the regular tiller, there is no
stuffing box and water ocassionaly comes into the cockpit in heavy seas,
but since the post doesn't exit inside the hull, the water just drains
back out the scuppers.  Have you looked at the stuffing box to see if
this is the problem?  If it is a regular stuffing box, a drip now and
then is normal.  I would suggest a PSS dripless stuffing box to aleviate
this problem.  We use this on #114's shaft and have not had a drip since
day one.

Hope this helped.

Chris Sousa
Carina Vela