[alberg30] Re: wheel steering for A-30

Matthew Wynn mattwynn at ns.sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 19 16:31:09 PDT 1998

From: Matthew Wynn <mattwynn at ns.sympatico.ca>

Gordon E. White wrote:

> From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>
>
> I have Alberg 30 sail # 275. The tiller fitting on the rudderpost is
> sloppy and the engine controls just as bad. I'd like to install a wheel
> steerer with controls & instruments on the pedestal. Edson has a "kit"
> in their catalog, however the local rigger does not think the kit is the
> best way to go. Is there anyone who has a wheel-steered A-30 or has done
> the conversion?
>                     Gordon White
>                     Deltaville, VA
>Dear Gordon,

	We bought A30 Tazar #424 last spring with Edson steering. It is a
sturdy installation job using four idler pullies under the cockpit sole.
Access is through cut outs in the cockpit lockers inner plywood liner. A
quadrant is clamped on to the rudder post just above the rudder stuffing
box. A key way and key keep it in place. On Tazar there is some play
because the key is wobbling in the key way on the rudder post itself.
The wheel is about 20 inches in diameter and is located just aft of the
winches. The top of the rudder post is still in place and the old tiller
arm is used as emergency back-up. The engine controls are on the
starboard side of the wheel mounted on the lower side of the cockpit.
Spacewise it does present a bit of a challenge as you either have to go
around the wheel or up on the seat and around. However, you don't have a
tiller arm sweeping across the back of the cockpit. I must admit that at
times it was tiring with the wheel as you pretty well have to stand to
comfortably steer. As I have yet to sail in an A30 with tiller steering,
I can't really compare the two.
	Tazar is now layed up for the winter in our backyard just outside New
Glasgow, Nova Scotia on the Northumberland Strait - about a two hour
drive from Moncton, New Brunswick. You're more than welcome to have a
look if you're up this way in November.

							Matthew Wynn