[alberg30] Re: wheel steering for A-30

Robert E Johns bobjns at nais.com
Thu Oct 22 09:26:26 PDT 1998

From: Robert E Johns <bobjns at nais.com>

>From: FINNUS505 at aol.com
>
>Wheel Steering?
>I guess that's what makes horse racing-everyone likes something else.

Gordon,

I'm with Lee, at least as far as the Alberg is concerned.

Other comments:
At anchor the tiller is pivoted up and the whole cockpit is clear. An
autopilot, (very desirable when cruising) is inexpensive and easy to
install with a tiller and disappears completely in a bin when not in use.
When the autopilot is in use on Wind Call, the tiller does not sweep the
cockpit. Years ago I modified the tiller to also pivot about 18 inches from
the rudder post. The Autohelm autopilot is connected to the short part of
the tiller and the rest of the tiller is pivoted to a vertical position
which means that most of the cockpit is clear when under autopilot. (Takes
up much less space than a pedestal.) This has an additional advantage in
that the chance of falling on the tiller and breaking it while it is held
fixed by the autopilot is almost completely eliminated. (Not a problem with
a pedestal.)  In short, I have more usable space in the cockpit with the
tiller. A pedestal *always* occupies space.

If you do put in wheel steering, at least make sure that you can easily
install an autopilot. Even if you think that you won't ever use an
autopilot assume now that you will want one eventually. Think seriously
about installing one at the same time you install  the wheel.

One last thought. When powering into a heavy rain the autopilot lets you
stay dry under the dodger. This is true with either wheel or tiller (but
check to see if you can readjust it without getting soaked). With no
autopilot you cannot steer the boat from the dodger if you have a wheel.
You can with a tiller (one arm might get a little damp)

Good Luck,
	Bob