[alberg30] Rigging an Autotiller

Robert Kirk kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 22 10:13:37 PDT 1998

From: Robert Kirk <kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov>

At 12:26 22-10-98 -0400, Robert E Johns wrote:
[...]
>Other comments:
>At anchor the tiller is pivoted up and the whole cockpit is clear. An
>autopilot, (very desirable when cruising) is inexpensive and easy to
>install with a tiller and disappears completely in a bin when not in use.
>When the autopilot is in use on Wind Call, the tiller does not sweep the
>cockpit. Years ago I modified the tiller to also pivot about 18 inches from
>the rudder post. The Autohelm autopilot is connected to the short part of
>the tiller and the rest of the tiller is pivoted to a vertical position
>which means that most of the cockpit is clear when under autopilot. (Takes
>up much less space than a pedestal.) [...]

My tiller is very low in the cockpit at 18" from the rudder post
(somewhere around mid-shin level as a precise engineering measure.)
and my autopilot (an old but reliable Tillermaster) mounts on the
cockpit coaming which is considerably higher. As a result, the
autotiller sits at a steepish angle to the tiller - ok on the port tack, but
too steep for the autotiller's compass to operate when on starboard.

I get around this by attaching the Tillermaster bracket - an oarlock
socket - to the coaming with C-clamps, and tying back the boat tiller
to a higher angle, thus keeping the Tillermaster fairly level and
then adjusting the bracket position for different tacks. It's an
inelegant solution and requires a lot of adjustment, but it works.

Does anyone have a better solution?

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181