[alberg30] Re: Rigging an Autotiller

alberg30 alberg30 at planet.net
Thu Oct 22 18:01:38 PDT 1998

From: "alberg30" <alberg30 at planet.net>

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing. But here's our inexpensive
autopilot set up.

On #499, we have a older Navico TP500 autopilot, mounts to a bracket
attached (bolted) permanently to the starboard cockpit combing, and then
with one arm extension (purchased from Navico) the tillerpilot arm mounts
to a pin I placed strategically in the tiller. Navico provides directions
for all this and its simple installation that results in a level set up,
and quick cleanup when you want to put the thing away.TP500 cost $200 used
in new condition a few years back, bought it from a guy upgrading to wheel
steering. His loss my gain.

Only thought is that you might want to add one more arm extension ( you can
add up to three) because on occasion one extension seemed to limit the
range of the tiller by a crucial 1-2 inches during tacking.

----------
> From: Robert Kirk <kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov>
> To: alberg30 at onelist.com
> Subject: [alberg30] Rigging an Autotiller
> Date: Thursday, October 22, 1998 12:13 PM
>
> From: Robert Kirk <kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov>
>
> At 12:26 22-10-98 -0400, Robert E Johns wrote:
> [...]
> >Other comments:
> >At anchor the tiller is pivoted up and the whole cockpit is clear. An
> >autopilot, (very desirable when cruising) is inexpensive and easy to
> >install with a tiller and disappears completely in a bin when not in
use.
> >When the autopilot is in use on Wind Call, the tiller does not sweep the
> >cockpit. Years ago I modified the tiller to also pivot about 18 inches
from
> >the rudder post. The Autohelm autopilot is connected to the short part
of
> >the tiller and the rest of the tiller is pivoted to a vertical position
> >which means that most of the cockpit is clear when under autopilot.
(Takes