[alberg30] Re: Wheel Steering

Guy Lalonde guy.lalonde at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 23 19:47:23 PDT 1998

From: "Guy Lalonde" <guy.lalonde at sympatico.ca>

Hi Paul,

>From: RABBIT649 at aol.com
>
>I always suspected the front of the cockpit was the right place to put it,
but
>I never wanted to admit it to myself because that means i have to move the
>installation by the previous owner and find a way to patch a big hole in
the
>cockpit sole. Forward is probably easier to install b ecause you can work
from
>the cabin for at least the wheel and pully part and go in thru the lazaret

>only for the rudder work

I bought my A30 ( # 466) with wheel steering already installed so I can't
comment on how easy or how difficult it might be to install wheel steering
in a forward location like mine, BUT I have tried to repair a leaking gasket
on the fuel tank where the fuel gauge level sender is located (just below
the
wheel pedestal) and could definitely not get at it from the cabin because
the engine is in the way.

>Any interference with the engine?

The wheel steering controls do not interfere with the engine. The pedestal
installation is in the front of the cockpit (14 inches from the forward end
of
the cockpit sole to the center of the pedestal) which provides easy access
to the winches. The pedestal is directly above the front end of the fuel
tank
where this is very good clearance.

Cheers, Guy.        guy.lalonde at sympatico.ca