[alberg30] Re: wheel steering for A-30

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue Oct 27 01:27:22 PST 1998

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

    Edson does have a suggested wheel setup as you describe with the
wheel against the aft end of the cockpit. Their diagram S-216-5.  It
provides a box over the machinery including a couple of u-joints and
what they call a #344 rack & pinion steerer. The rudderpost has to be
extended into the lazarette, at least partway. This avoids having to
work under the cockpit sole and putting a stuffing box around the
rudderpost. The box cum seat covers the rudderpost extension.
    As I see it handling the wheel becomes a bit cumbersome in this
arrangement, though it is obviously easier/cheaper to install if you can
build a nice-enough "box" or can get someone to build one, in teak or
mahogany. It avoids the pedestal entirely and probably breaks up the
cockpit area less, but provides no place for compass, nav instruments,
engine controls or beer cans.
    All the input I have gotten in the last two weeks suggests people (a
couple dozen) with pedestal wheels rather like them (if installed well)
and like them as far forward as can be mounted.
    Edson has two diagrams for Pedestal mounts, S-216-1 and S-216-2.
Both use cables to a quadrant on the rudderpost under the cockpit with
idler pulleys attached to the inside sides of the sail lockers. There is
only some slight difference, apparently in mounting those pulleys.

    I'm still looking for input from anyone else with a wheel,
PARTICULARLY people who have had the work done themselves.
                                                                Gordon
White A-275