[alberg30] Atomic-4 exhaust leak

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Fri Sep 18 10:36:42 PDT 1998

From: Dan Sternglass <dans at stmktg.com>

All,

Last night I dicovered (finally) the source of the exhaust leak in my
1966 A-30. The Galvanized pipe rusted and broke off at the elbow where
it turns "up" (towards the muffler) in the lazarette. OK, so this should
be one of those rare repairs that can be done with cheap parts...

However, it seems like it will be difficult to get the elbow off, since
its quite rusty internally. I suppose I can unbolt the flange at the
engine, and try to pull the pipe out into the cabin, but I might have to
enlarge the hole in the Lazarette. Then there's the joy of handling the
Asbestos, but I am pretty well equipped for that, so that's not my
question.

I'm considering taking a propane torch to the fitting with a heat shield
behind it. However, my expeience with using a heat gun on the top sideto
strip varnish is that (at least) the gelcoat softens -very- easily. I'm
also reluctant because of the gasoline hazard, but I can ventilate the
area properly if I need to. The temperature sensitivity of the fiberglas
is my concern.

Lastly, what sort of insualting material is available for re-assembling
this. I assume that there is some fiberglass tape or the like. I'll see
what the local boatyard knows as well.

Has any one dealt with this particular problem?

Thanks,

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com