[alberg30] Re: Current thinking on bedding compunds?

Chester & Jan Koop cjk at tir.com
Thu Apr 15 12:48:11 PDT 1999

From: "Chester & Jan Koop" <cjk at tir.com>

My personal preference would be to retain the frames and install 5/16" or
3/8" Lexcan.  This preference is based solely on my opinion that the
proposed "frameless" ports would be too modern in appearance for the classic
lines of a Alberg 30.  These frameless ports might look OK on some of the
newer/sleeker designs, but definitely seem out of place here.  It would be
like restoring a classic 1780's N.E. saltbox by replacing the double
hung/divided light windows with Anderson crank-out casement windows with a
single insulating glass pane: it would definitely get the job done but the
look would be "all wrong."

If your frames are getting "funky" looking (or worst) and re-anodizing is
not practical/desired, have new frames made of out flat stock stainless
steel. This may be more expensive than what you propose, but this
"retro-look" is, in my opinion, more in keeping with style of our Albergs.

Chet Koop
Tangaroa  #445