[alberg30] Re: getting one

stephen sousa stephen=sousa%eng%emchop1 at fishbowl02.lss.emc.com
Fri Apr 16 08:16:48 PDT 1999

From: "stephen sousa" <stephen=sousa%eng%emchop1 at fishbowl02.lss.emc.com>

Folks,

Carina Vela #114 was delivered with a Sea Scout which has been upgraded
with a Yanmar 2GM20F. The cost is not excessive but on the high side. Van
Ness Engineering @ 201-445-8685 provides support for the Sea Scout and can
possible answer questions about service and parts available.

Stephen Sousa
-------------
Original Text
From: "Forhan, Thomas" <Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov>, on 4/16/99 9:35 AM:
From: "Forhan, Thomas" <Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov>

I am pretty sure Palmer Sea Scouts were installed in some very early
Albergs,  it is probably only two cylinders, lower power than the A4.  You
won't have the huge support network that exists for the Atomic 4.

Sounds like the boat will have a low hull number. The very first couple of
dozen boats or so were under ballasted, so if its under hull #30 see if it
has had more ballast added. Of course, look for the mast step support fix,
usually a thick aluminum plate sistering the cabin roof beam under the
step.
Of course, there are the usual things you would look for on any fiberglass
boat of this age, blisters, deteriorated gel coat, etc. Check George's web
pages so that you are familiar with the standard layout, its very workable,
though some owners have changed it substantially, some for the better and
some for the worse. I'd at least want to know  whether the boat had been
substantially modified.

Look at as many Albergs as possible. I saw about seven before I bought
Calliope, when you find the right one it will jump out at you.

Good luck

Tom F.
#287 Calliope