[alberg30] Re: A4 carb

Rap1208 at aol.com Rap1208 at aol.com
Wed Apr 21 13:48:29 PDT 1999

From: Rap1208 at aol.com

Greg, regarding the main jet adjustment, caution is advised.  The book says
to turn it all the way in, and then back it out a number of turns.  (don't
remember without the book)
My packing needed replacement because of a gas smell.  I had to make my own
cork packing for the jet because I couldn't find any.  No big problem,  get
some cork gasket material and do it.  However, after this it is hard to tell
when the needle bottoms because of the new resistance, and gas tight, seal.
I think perhaps the black smudge on your hull is, like mine, just a result of
the exhaust placement.  I've heard, or read of an exhaust extension being put
in, but I personally don't that dragging it he watter when I'm on port tack.
Carfull of getting it too lean, because that burns exhaust valves, and I 'd
rather try to clean the hull rthan do a valve job on the engine.  unless you
are fouling plugs, don't go the hotter plug routine, cause that can cause
other problems with steady running.
Russ Pfeiffer