[alberg30] Re: Cleaning sails?

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Mon Apr 26 10:05:52 PDT 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Joe,
Re; your thoughts on putting two rows of reef points into a heavy weather
jib, allow me to add my two cents for what they're worth.  When  you get down
to that second reef, with no boom, you're going to have an awkward shaped
sail, with alot of material flopping around in the reef points; not ideal
when it's realy hooting. If we're talking second reef on a heavy weather jib,
I assume it's going to be blowing over 35 knots on our weatherly Alberg 30's.
I would recomend getting a smaller storm jib to use, instead of the reefs on
the existing sail. You're going to be up forward to reef anyway, so to change
to the smaller sail would not be much more work, and will be much more
efficient.
Someone taught me a 'trick' to make hank on sail changes easier; maybe you
know it already. You start with the old sail up and drawing, and release the
bottom hank or two. Then hank on the new sail, still furled from the bag.
Then when you drop the old sail and unhank it, the new sail is set to go, and
you cut the time you are without a headsail. Works nice.
Enjoy,
Lee
Stargazer #255