[alberg30] Re: Cleaning sails?

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Mon Apr 26 08:18:54 PDT 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Joe:

You can wash sails so long as you use nothing more aggressive than a
sponge, and mild detergent.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, take your sails to a commercial cleaner unless you
want all the resin scrubbed out and the sail as stretchy as a rubber
band.   I saw a friend's beautiful old Murphy Nye A-37 main before and
after a commercial wash, later the sail maker, Joe Fernadez just shook
his head and asked why did the owner do this?

The sail was ruined - Joe has always been adamant about never taking a
sail to a commercial sail washing service.

Pass the word.

Oh yea, Joe built your sails when he was with the Taylor Loft, he was
the Whitby supplier, he's still in business and built us three beautiful
new sails two years ago.  He builds under the name Triton Sails, in
Mississauga, Ontario.

J B