[alberg30] Propeller Shaft Packing

John Bailey jebailey at freeway.net
Fri Aug 6 19:05:14 PDT 1999

I think my propeller shaft is dripping too much.  I'm not sure how to go about tightening the packing.  It would appear there is a lock-nut aft of the tightening nut and that I would first back the lock-nut a bit and then tighten the other.  Is this correct and can it be done by one person.  There is an access plate in the cockpit sole directly above the packing nut and that is where I plan to get access.  There is only room for one hand and I'm hoping I don't have to try to get in the compartment with two wrenches.  Any help would be appreciated.

John Bailey
"Zevulun" #33