[alberg30] Of Vanguards

Scott Wallace tristan at one.net
Wed Aug 18 14:00:44 PDT 1999

From:	Scott Wallace <tristan at one.net>

About six years ago I bought an old wooden ISYRA STAR from a man who had her
stored on an ancient trailer that looked like a WWI French artillary
carriage...She was painted sky blue with go fast graphics - I cleaned her up,
painted her Navy with white deck and varnished mahogany trim and traced her
pedigree through the Mystic seaport library - turns out she was built as "TULLA"
(Norwegian for little girl) by Jul Hansen, a Star boat builder in Brooklyn.  She
sailed with the Sheepshead Bay fleet, later Great South Bay, Huntington Bay and
later Lake Cuyuga...the owner I bought her from bought her in upper state New
York and took her to Racine, Wisconsin with him when he moved, then took her to
Northern Kentucky when he moved again.  He was hard on the old girl and left her
hanging from her bow and stern, with no keel support.  when I put her in a
southern Ohio lake she took on water - to swell up, but she never stopped
leaking...My brother and I enjoyed a short and exhilerating sail before a shroud
sprung loose and we limped back to the dock.  A few weeks later she sprung a bad
leak while I was in Ontario, Canada and sank at the dock in seventeen feet of
murky water a bad end for the racer from Sheepshead Bay.  My brother and his
kids worked with me and a volunteer crew, we raised her and sold her back to the
Great Lakes where she was refastened, repainted and once again could sail on
Lake Michigan.  This summer I drove right by Sheepshead Bay on our way to
Connecticut to pick up my Triad Trailer for my Pearson Electra...I thought about
ole TULLA and I was knocked out by how Brooklyn has this best kept secret of
Sheepshead Bay and Coney Island!

Scott Wallace in Cincinnati

FINNUS505 at aol.com wrote:

> From: FINNUS505 at aol.com
>
> Hi Scott,
> When I was still sailing out of Brooklyn, NY, Sheepshead Bay (now don't make
> jokes-it was good sailing- even in July and August, we had wind there!) there
> were a few Vanguards, and they were highly regarded by the Miramar YC
> membership.  At the time (this brings us up to the 80's) my dad had an
> Islander 32, 1965, with the IC rig, a few feet shorter than the standard rig.
>  But head to head, the Islander was faster than the Vanguards, which
> surprised me. They are all pretty boats, though. I could 'deal with' having
> any  one, or all, of them.
> Take care,
> Lee
> Stargazer #255

> ONElist:  the best place to EXPLORE topics, SHARE ideas, and
> CONNECT to people with the same interests.

Congrats to our GROW TO GIVE winners, ZENtertainment & ROTInews!
http://www.onelist.com
Check out ONElist's latest program, FRIENDS & FAMILY.  See homepage.