[alberg30] Of Vanguards

Rap1208 at aol.com Rap1208 at aol.com
Fri Aug 20 22:57:19 PDT 1999

From: Rap1208 at aol.com

Scott, I owned a Star also, # 74.  I learned to sail on that boat.  When I
bought her she had been out of the water for 2 years, and you could see
daylight through her seams, but no rot at all.  I caulked her with poly
sulfide and had her launched.  Old Charlie Brown, the marina owner had a lot
of doubts about her sinking, so he left her in the slings over night.  When I
got there the next day he was just hoisting her out of the water, and I could
see water running out of the chine areas.  I bought more Lifecaulk and a lot
of monel boat nails, went back and re caulked  the chines, then started
nailing, first one side and then the other. When I was done she went back in
and did not leak.  After a few days of dry weather, her bilges were dry as a
bone.
Learning to sail on a Star was like learning to drive with a race car, it
upped the learning curve.  I owned her for 2 years.  Russ Pfeiffer

GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA: DOUBLE Rewards points,
       NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9 percent FIXED APR.
Apply online today!                http://www.onelist.com/ad/nextcard1