[alberg30] Re: Alberg Trailer

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Sat Aug 21 02:01:37 PDT 1999

From: RABBIT649 at aol.com

Tom,
    Thanks very much. Your advice sounds born of experience and I never would
have thought of it. I got a quote from Triad, but they got the weight wrong
and I couldn't read their file format too well so they're sending me another
by snail mail. I let you know wht they advise for the A-30.
    Making the trailer adaptable to other boats is very smart.
paul
Ashwagh #23

In a message dated 8/20/99 12:37:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tomsu at uky.campuscw.net writes:

> From: Tom Sutherland <tomsu at uky.campuscw.net>
>
>  Hi All ...
>
>      Some things to keep in mind in regard to large boat trailers!
>
>  1) .. "Three axle" trailers are much better than two! ... for many
reasons.
> If
>  you have a flat tire with a three axle, you can usually continue on two ,
> just
>  remove the flat and go on. Also the same applies to any wheel bearing
> problems.
>  Tongue weight (which is very important ) is easier to control with T/A.
>
>  2) ... Insist on SIX jack stands with pads which pivot 360 degrees. This
>  becomes very important when you are redoing your bottom ... you can lower
> three
>  (tripod in effect) and the boat is supported fine by three at a time. Also
>  insist on "screw stands" This means the pads are raised and lowered via by
>  turning them ... there are too many advantages to even mention, just trust
> me
>  on this one.
>
>  3) ...You will also want an adjustable mechanism at the forward portion
> which
>  can be moved after the boat is loaded ... especially if loaded from the
> water
>  ... keep in mind , everybody does not have a travel lift!  You want the
> trailer
>  to be adaptable to a variety of boats even though your A 30 is your primary
>  user .
>      This is one subject I feel very qualified to discuss ... I have pulled
> and
>  hauled a wide variety of boats .... we perform this service for many
sailors
> at
>  the lake where I sail (no travel lift) ... also raise and lower masts on
> many
>  30 foot boats (my A-30 included) with out the benefit of a crane. We
learned
>  do it out of necessity.
>
>  PS ... Also , I believe a retractable tongue on a trailer this size is a
> waist
>  of money. It is usually of little or no use I will elaborate if anyone is
>  interested.
>
>  Enough for now !
>
>  Tom S
>  A 30  #412

ONElist announces "FRIENDS & FAMILY!"
For details, including our weekly drawing, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html