[alberg30] Re: Alberg Trailer

Tom Sutherland tomsu at uky.campuscw.net
Fri Aug 20 04:34:10 PDT 1999

From: Tom Sutherland <tomsu at uky.campuscw.net>

Hi All ...

    Some things to keep in mind in regard to large boat trailers!

1) ... "Three axle" trailers are much better than two! ... for many reasons. If
you have a flat tire with a three axle, you can usually continue on two , just
remove the flat and go on. Also the same applies to any wheel bearing problems.
Tongue weight (which is very important ) is easier to control with T/A.

2) ... Insist on SIX jack stands with pads which pivot 360 degrees. This
becomes very important when you are redoing your bottom ... you can lower three
(tripod in effect) and the boat is supported fine by three at a time. Also
insist on "screw stands" This means the pads are raised and lowered via by
turning them ... there are too many advantages to even mention, just trust me
on this one.

3) ...You will also want an adjustable mechanism at the forward portion which
can be moved after the boat is loaded ... especially if loaded from the water
... keep in mind , everybody does not have a travel lift!  You want the trailer
to be adaptable to a variety of boats even though your A 30 is your primary
user .
    This is one subject I feel very qualified to discuss ... I have pulled and
hauled a wide variety of boats .... we perform this service for many sailors at
the lake where I sail (no travel lift) ... also raise and lower masts on many
30 foot boats (my A-30 included) with out the benefit of a crane. We learned to
do it out of necessity.

PS ... Also , I believe a retractable tongue on a trailer this size is a waist
of money. It is usually of little or no use I will elaborate if anyone is
interested.

Enough for now !

Tom S
A 30  #412