[alberg30] PHRF QUESTION

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Mon Aug 23 21:35:34 PDT 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Lee,
The J measurement of 10' is applied as the base measurement to the LP.
A sail measuring 10' on the LP would be a 100% or #3.  A sail measuring
8.5' on the LP would be 85%.   And one measuring 16' on the LP is 160%
and you are allowed up to 3% over each 10% without encountering a 3
second penalty per 10% over 150%.

150% is considered by PHRF to be the base line so a 153% Sail would get
no penalty but a 153.1% would get the same penalty as a 163%.

John Birch, Sunstone KC-65

FINNUS505 at aol.com wrote:

> From: FINNUS505 at aol.com
>
> Hi John,
> I read with interest your PHRF discussion, and maybe you can clear something
> up for me, which other people on the list may find of interest as well.
> the various %'s that describe the headsails; are these %'s of fortriangle
> area, or just the 'J' measurement?  The 160-170 figure you mention for a big
> #1, for instance.  Just for curiosity, what are the approximate foot, luff
> and leach lengths of that sail? (In feet, vs. metric, for us yanks :)  )
> Thx, John,
> Lee
> Stargazer #255

> ATTN ONELIST USERS: stay current on the latest activities,
> programs, & features at ONElist by joining our member newsletter at

ATTENTION ONElist MEMBERS:  Get your ONElist news!
Join our MEMBER NEWSLETTER here: