[alberg30] Various questions

David Swanson zira at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 29 20:02:50 PDT 1999

From: David Swanson <zira at mindspring.com>

Richard -

No one else seems to be tackling your second question, so let me give it a
try.  My muffler is a Nauta, but should be the same.  To get the 12", I built a
riser;  that is, my exhaust comes out, goes up about 6" (basically, as close as
I could get to the cockpit floor & still have enough room for insulation), then
back down.  The water injection is 12" (actually, a little more) below the
highest point, which keeps the water from splashing back in to the motor.  I
used a funky 45-degree tee for my water injection, although I have seen plain
tee fittings, and home welded fittings & both seemed to work.    I wrapped the
pipe in fiberglass insulation from the manifold to below the injection point.
I used Nigel Calder's book, Dan Spur's book, my Atomic 4 book, and Don Moyer's
newsletter, and looked at some other boats, when designing mine & it has worked
well so far (3 years).

Interestingly, all of the above advised using galvanized pipe (or stainless if
you can afford it), but there was some discussion on this list (I think) about
the dangers of fumes from galvanized pipe.  FYI.

dls
Strayaway Child
Alberg 30 #229