[alberg30] Non-skid deck refinishing

Richard Hurt rhurt at metro.net
Mon Aug 16 06:59:24 PDT 1999

From: Richard Hurt <rhurt at metro.net>

Hello All,

Finally have a chunk of time to continue general overhall of hull 531.
Deck is completely stripped of hardward, portlights etc, and presently
sanding filling and preping deck for refinishing.

My plan is to spray two coats of epoxy primer, then spray smooth areas of
the deck with LPU (Interthane plus), then roll non-skid areas.  I am
sanding the nonskid areas almost smooth.  Would like to spread the nonskid
material onto the first coat of LPU before it dries, then encapsulate it
with the second coat. Awlgrip's and Interthanes nonskid additives both look
too fine to give a very substantial nonskid surface.

Would appreciate any input out there concerning type of nonskid to use and
how to apply it.  Some of my boat neighbors in the yard are recommending
speading sand onto a thin coat of epoxy resin, then painting over with the
LPU.

Rick Hurt
Corinna, #531

ONElist:  the best place to EXPLORE topics, SHARE ideas, and
CONNECT to people with the same interests.