[alberg30] Roller Furling

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Wed Aug 25 08:18:26 PDT 1999

From: SandersM at aol.com

In a message dated 8/25/99 8:30:18 AM, bzinser at nmu.edu writes:

>Also, after this week of fickle wind, I'm seriously considering the
>installation of a roller furling unit.  Just curious as to which units
>work well. Not only brand, but actual model.

WILD ELF's previous owner fitted her with a CDI furler.  I do not know the
model number, but it is an open-drum design with a continuous-loop control
line, held to the drum by a three-pronged cage.  I would not recommend this
furler.  even after having my yard's rigger rebuild it, the control line
works free from the cage and slips off of the drum even in a light breeze.
The result is that you have to go forward and furl the jib by turning the
drum with your hands.  As you might imagine, this is a bit of a disincentive
to fly a jib in anything much above 10 knots of wind, and frustrates the
purpose for which the furler is intended -- ease of sail-handling.

I plan to replace the furler this winter, and am eager to read of the list's
experiences with other furlers.

Sanders McNew
WILD ELF  (No. 297)
New York City.

ATTN ONELIST USERS: stay current on the latest activities,
programs, & features at ONElist by joining our member newsletter at