[alberg30] Teak from Victory, Oak or ash trunnels from Charles Morgan

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Wed Dec 1 15:03:13 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi John,
Interesting info on the teak from the Victory.  Thx.
Come to think of it, I have a few old trunnels from the Charles Morgan, the
whaler at Mystic Seaport.  We were visiting when they were rebuilding her in
the '80's, and very similar story- there was a pile of the old wood,
including old trunnels that had fastened the old planks, and the workmen said
we were 'welcome to them'.  We also felt that it was holding a part of
history, and I can't beleive I didn't remember that we have them!!  Right now
they are packed away, safely, somewhere, but will be taken out and put in a
case along with other very old nautical paraphernalia we have, when we have
room.  Most cherished object-an old wooden octant, in the original case,
complete.  There is even a small deerskin sack that once held a bottle of
whale oil lubricant.  It is all banged up, the case particularly.  When we
found this octant in an antique store that bordered on a thrift shop, the
case was full of the kind of soot you find in a basement with a coal fired
furnace!! But all the parts are there. Wonderful to look at and hold.  Inside
the case are rough pencil mathematical figurings, presumably from a day the
navigator ran out of paper!!  I don't recognize the computations at
all-presuambly it is a reduction method from the 19th century, long
simplified and improved for us today.
But  I digress..........
Lee
Stargazer #255
P.S. Ever been to the whaling museum in New Bedford, Mass.?  Well worth the
trip!!!  wonderful collections.  There is a half scale model of a whaler,
built in the ealry 1900's, and very authentic.  They say while she 'was
a-building' the retired whaling captains came to watch, and make
'corrections'.  More to the point, there is a balcony surrounding the rig you
can walk around, and scattered on the floor of this balcony are bits and
pieces and rig fragments from actual old whaling ships.  On the parceled and
served lines, you can still smell the stockholm tar, or pitch!!!!  Well worth
the trip!!!