[alberg30] hard dodger for A30

Guy Lalonde lalondegc at videotron.ca
Fri Dec 3 20:05:15 PST 1999

From: Guy Lalonde <lalondegc at videotron.ca>

Joe,
I sent you a private e-mail with dodger photos. If anyone else is interested
let me know and I'll send a private e-mail. The dodger setup on my boat is a
little too high, the boom just barely clears it and when standing I don't
like to have to look through the dodger (which is the case), I like to be
able to see over a dodger, but that's my preference. It also extends a
little too far back and interferes with the winches but I just untie a rope
and fold it back, with a hard dodger you'd have to take that into
consideration. Unfortunately my mast is down and the dodger is removed so I
can't provide measurements, maybe someone on the list still has their rig up
and can provide the distance between the cockpit floor and the boom. From
there I suggest you make a cardboard mock up dodger before undertaking the
real thing, you'll be able to determine if it interferes with anything and
if it is aesthetically pleasing.

I checked out the hard dodger on the web site mentionned in Bob Kirk's
reply, it looks like the hard dodger is removable. I've heard of some that
are permanently glassed which may not be a good idea because a permanent one
might not appeal to a potential buyer (especially a die-hard racer). Also it
doesn't look like the "window" can be opened which I like to roll down on my
soft dodger on a warm day under sail or at anchor, it can get pretty hot
behind a dodger without a breeze flowing through.

Just my 2 cents.

Guy.
Cyrena #466