[alberg30] hailing port

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Thu Dec 9 22:36:30 PST 1999

From: Gordon White <gewhite at crosslink.net>

   The lady who did a new hailing port on peel-off lettering for me when I moved down
here told me I needed 4" BLOCK letters, but putting "Deltaville, Virginia" that big
really crowded my transom, so I told her to use smaller letters, which I had used when
putting "Annapolis, Maryland" on before. So I used about 3" letters with serifs. That
got me to looking at other boats' names. There is no certainty/uniformity to them, at
least around here. I have been boarded several times and the USCG has never brought up
my non-standard lettering. Not that some Coastie won't some day, but not so far.

    By the way, I think anyone contemplating a boat name ought to try calling it over
vhf in a simulated distress situation (not over the air, of course) and seeing if it
sounds really silly or worse, impossible to understand. There are some weird names on
boats.

                                            - Gordon White