[alberg30] relocating tiller

Mpete53 at aol.com Mpete53 at aol.com
Thu Feb 18 12:35:30 PST 1999

From: Mpete53 at aol.com

Alternative to wheel steering.

	I have recently joined this message group and have been reading the old
messages. There seems to be a recurring question about installing a steering
wheel on an Alberg 30. I assume that the reason for this interest is the same
as I had when I perched my A30 (#585 Jocelyn). The tiller rules the cockpit.

	The Jocelyn replaced my 22 foot Pearson Electra (another Alberg design), they
both have the same size cockpit but the Electra's seemed bigger. The answer
was that the tiller head on the Electra was above the seat lockers and could
swing easily above the legs of people in the cockpit. The A30's with it's
tiller head  on the cockpit sole causing the tiller to  hit legs every time I
maneuvered.

	The solution was to rase the tiller head.

	This was accomplished by using a stainless steel universal joint, about 18"
of 1 inch shafting
and a bearing on the aft end of the cockpit.

	The bearing is mounted on the aft end of the cockpit just below the traveler,
with the new shaft projecting just enough for the tiller head to fit on. The
shaft then is joined to the rudder post by the universal joint.

	I have found that I now have much more usable cock pit space.

	If your are interested I will email a jpg to you.

Note. Me implementation is still a work in progress. The only SS U Joint that
I could find is not of the roller bearing type and therefore has some
rotational play. I also had to modify it to a split type with pinch bolts to
get it to hold tight on the rudder post.
	But I have no intentions of going back to the old system

Mark Peters

Mpete53 at aol.com