[alberg30] Re: relocating tiller

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Mon Feb 22 00:28:49 PST 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

Mark:
    Actually there were several reasons I wanted to add a wheel. (I
cruise, never race, so the wheel's obstruction of the cockpit was a
small negative to me) Yes, the tiller sweeps the cockpit, but I just
like a wheel's control better. Easier to control while standing looking
ahead, easier to put on the wheel brake to let go of the wheel for a
moment. But also my rudderpost head/tiller fitting was worn out and
needed replacing, $150 right there. My engine controls were worn out and
inconvenient to reach, several hundred dollars there. I wanted to
relocate the controls to the pedestal. Also, having the compass there
would be easier to read, the compass further from the electrical panel
and the alternator, which on my boat affects the reading. A variety of
reasons. And the gudgeon needed repair. Trying to do all these things at
once.

    I think I can even use my old tiller autopilot with the wheel by
attaching the pin to a spoke. It will not have as much control travel as
the tiller because of the different ratio of the wheel to the rudder,
but it ought to keep us straight while doing odd things forward in
relatively calm water. (I singlehand a lot.)

    Incidentally, Edson prices are outrageous. List price for all the
hardware would be $2,000, but West Marine discounts a lot of it by a
third or more. You can make up your own 3/16 cables (two, each 7 ft
long) for about $15 each vs Edson's price of $100 for two. A lot of
parts can be found in used boat equipment shops. BUT: do not try to mix
Edson, Merriman, Yacht Specialties and other brands without checking
carefully. The pedestal dimensions are different, holes do not line up,
the guards are different widths. Merriman is out of business and though
Doc Freeman's has their leftovers, a lot of parts are no longer
obtainable. Actually I saw another brand of wheel & pedestal I never
heard of at Bacon's in Annapolis for $150 that I could have used with
Edson idler pulleys and a quadrant from Ocean Outfitters if I had not
already bought the stuff from West Marine. I'm not sure I could have
adapted the Edson engine controls though. If you do mix & match get the
full Edson catalog and installation instructions, which are very
complete & useful. I should say that the Alberg Association members were
very helpful. Jim Palmer contributed a used bracket and Bob Leigh,
advice.

                                                    Gordon White, A-275