[alberg30] Summer excursion

A30240 at aol.com A30240 at aol.com
Sun Feb 28 11:09:51 PST 1999

From: A30240 at aol.com

Sandy and I are planning to break off from the Summer Maxi Cruise and head for
DC.  If anyone is interested in going along please let me know.

Jim Davis
Isa Lei
240
a30240 at aol.com

Summer Maxi Cruise Extension   3 July through 13 July 1999

Breaking off from the Maxi at Solomons Island on 3 July, and continuing on to
the Potomac and up to Washington, DC.

Schedule

Date		Destination				Milage
7/2	Fri	 Solomons Island, PAX River NAS	0
7/3	Sat	 Herring Creek				          42
7/4	Sun Port Tobacco River		  	          35
7/5	Mon Piscataway Creek			          40
7/6	Tue	 Washington Channel			    10   	Pass WW Bridge 0900
7/7	Wed	Lay		Play Tourist
7/8	Thu	      Lay		Play Tourist
7/9	Fri	Quantico 				                30 	Pass WW Bridge 1200
7/10Sat	Wicomico River			                40
7/11Sun Smith Creek				          25
7/12MonSolomons				                30
7/13Tue Home

This excursion involves some long days.  Every nights stop has gas, water and
perhaps ice available.  There is at least one marina on each creek.  Diesel is
not as available, but with their longer cruising range, diesel boats shouldn't
have a problem.  An extra fuel can should be considered, especially for gas
boats.

Tidal current is a consideration in this particular run and it should be noted
that WW Bridge (50' MHW) times are at MLW.  The intention is to pass the WW
Bridge at MLW with minimal current.  At these times there should be about a
52' clearance.  The WW Bridge opening procedure for pleasure boats is
difficult - at best.  I also do not intend to go through it with any
appreciable current.  During the passage of the River, I intend to stay in the
shallow water when opposing the tide, deep water when the tide is with me.
With a short layover, and a desire to avoid night time operation, it isn't
practical to try and "ride the tide" for the entire trip.

The current thinking is to anchor out each night, until Washington, DC.  In DC
one of the marinas on Washington Channel will be used.  This is for
convenience and security.  The anchorage area is about 20' with a soft bottom.
There are also several large tour boats that manuver through the anchorage.
It also avoids the need to tow a dinghy and makes it practical for friends
(land crabs from the office) to visit.  The marinas are close to Metro and
parking.