[alberg30] Re: Summer excursion

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Sun Feb 28 06:34:37 PST 1999

Jim:
    If I can give any help in the DC area, let me know. I have a crash
pad in Alexandria (looong walk from the waterfront but across the street
from a Metro stop) and I am very familiar with the River from Mt. Vernon
to DC. I was 1st mate for a while on the Spirit of Washington and I
still operate vessels for the Alexandria Seaport Foundation.

    I would not worry over much about the WW Bridge. An Alberg would
have no trouble clearing the bridge at any state of tide. I take a
taller-masted 42-footer through there all the time. If some large vessel
is going through I would wait for it.

    You are right about the tidal current but purely from a
speed-over-the-bottom point of view. I have not seen any current that
would bother an Alberg in maneuvering. Going up the river one could stay
in the current when it is with you and try to avoid it when it's
opposing - stay to the inside of bends when the current is opposing for
example, though the most I have ever seen is 1 1/2 knots.
    The Alexandria Seaport Foundation has a pier at the foot of Prince
St. If not in use you could land there or at the seawall there. ASF has
a Maritime Heritage Center afloat at the foot of  Cameron St. (by the
torpedo factory arts center). Be careful of submerged pilings between
the ASF pier and the Dandy's pier. There is a 6 kt speed limit going
past Alexandria which helps with larger vessels that can throw up quite
a wake.

                                                - Gordon White