[alberg30] Re: More access panel info

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue Feb 23 14:25:53 PST 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

Well, guys,
    My Bomar hatch does not leak at all, possibly because it sits up
higher than, I think, the ones in the present catalogs - 2 1/4" overall
and the lip when open is at least an inch above the cockpit sole. I
don't even tighten down the dogs unless I am in or expecting rough seas.
Rainwater or spray (rare) runs out the scuppers before it gets into the
hatch. I can reach through cutouts in the sail lockers to tighten the
fasteners if I have to, but it's a bit awkward.

    While the smoky lexan does spring more than the deck, it does not
appear to be weak enough to bother me.

    I would be bothered if I had to replace it and couldn't find one the
same size (or a little larger). But I do not think I could live without
some sort of access better than the original 8" dia. deck plate I think
the Alberg had.

    If my hatch leaked just a little I could live with that, as long as
it was not drenching the engine or filling the bilge. Anyway, mine does
not have that problem.

                            - Gordon White, A-275