[alberg30] Re: More access panel info

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Wed Feb 24 12:43:03 PST 1999

From: RABBIT649 at aol.com

Tom,
	Can you post the number for Hamilton Marine? They sound like the kind of
hatch I want to use and just about the right size for me. If you post their
number, I can call them for a cataloge.
	I need access to both engine and steering (pulleys and crescent on the rudder
post) so I may need two smaller hatches fore and aft. I have decided to
reinstall the wheel in a right angle arrangement into the vertical bulkhead of
the bridgedeck. This puts the wheel forward, thereby giving access to the
winches and freeing up the cockpit floor. And if I want, I can make the
pedestal tilt port/starboard with a simple slip-flange. The trick there is to
route the cables thru the bulkhead on the same axis, so when the wheel tilts,
the cables just do a half twist and slide over each other. The only downside
is, I'll have to custom make the right-angle pedestal, at least the lower
part.
	I am sensitive to the issue of reinforcing the sole. Incredible how closed
topologies get monocoque strength against racking forces and how much is lost
when a hole is cut in a surface. The cockpit forms a five-sided box which is
an incredible stiffening element to the whole rear of the boat. Books say a
rule of thumb is to add the amount of material you are removing into the
thickness of the surface surrounding the hole. I don't know if that can be
done here, or how necessary it is. But remember, your not going to see a
difference until the boat is in extremis.
	Thanks in advance for Hamilton's #
Paul Cicchetti
Ashwagh #23