[alberg30] Re: Hatch cut out

greg vandenberg fashionguy at mailhost.kal.ameritech.net
Thu Feb 25 07:27:59 PST 1999

From: greg vandenberg <fashionguy at mailhost.kal.ameritech.net>

Dick... I'm just trying to say that one should be very cautious about cutting
large holes in the bottom of your cockpit sole. It is a serious matter. To
install aluminum and acrylic hatches and call it a access hatch for use under
foot and under water and under anything else that may end up there is
questionable. I think you have the evidence right there on your desk. The
bottom of that cockpit sole is a lot stronger than any hatch described here.
The only cockpit access hatch I've seen and thought sea worthy was constructed
of thick glass covered ply with interlocking edges and dogged all around,
similar to the construction of a flush fit fordeck anchor locker. I don't
think Mr. Alberg with today's material choices would have put a "bomar" hatch
in the middle of his cockpit sole with lips that were raised 1" or 2" for
tripping over and then realizing this put wood grates around them to make them
flush so the owner could get at the inboard he designed into too small a
space. I have to admit that the problem has to be solved. That it sounds
pretty slick to be able to cut a hole and slide in a standard hatch and call
it an access hatch and a job well done and ending up with the use of alot of
space that was once lost to me. Slick YES... but good design and sea worthy
... I'm not so sure!

regards,
greg

Dick said...I've got the cut out right next to my desk as I write this.Top
layer cockpit sole 1/8 "glass non skid,next layer 1/8 " masonite,thinlayer of
glass about 1/32",1/8"masonite,1/8"woven or roven glass?
Wellits just a hair over half inch,and don't see any signs of delamation.I
think that if Mr. Alberg thought for one minute that there was a weak
spot in his boat that he would have beefed it up.I tried to install a
new puck sytle transducer inhull next to the engine,I grinded a small
area of glass smooth,nothing,put the puck in the water again 8 ft.I
wonder how thick the hull actual is on this boat.I later found a bad
section of wire on my old through hull transducer,fixed it and now I've
got depth.Seriously,back to hatches I don't know if plastics were a big
part of marine vessels in 1966,but if Mr.Alberg would have had at his
disposal what is available today,do you think he would have put that
little 6" plate to keep sailors cursing ?Ha!Ha!