[alberg30] Re: rigging control organizer

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sun Feb 28 09:05:02 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hey Greg,
A week in BVI sounds great! If only i could right now.
The end of my boom is a complicated place, what with slab reefing lines, etc,
and I wouldn't want to add another turning  block back there for the topping
lift.  Having the cleat for the topping lift in the middle of the boom means
another line dangling from the boom that can catch  someone's sunglasses, and
a cleat that can catch on things.  Only when she's close hauled will you be
able to reach the cleat from the cockpit to adjust the topping lift, all other
times, it's a high wire act to reach it. If you have to get out of the cockpit
to adjust the lift anyway, might as well be by the mast, where there is
something substantial to hang on to. If I had the bucks right now, I'd get a
new boom, with all the reefing lines etc. led through permanently mounted
sheaves on the end of the boom, and all the lines led forward internaly. That
is a sweet, seagoing arrangement.
I know what you mean about not wanting to drill holes in the deck for any
reason.  Once they're drilled, your married to them!
Ugh, to be landlocked like this is torture.  And its still only february!
take care,
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255