[alberg30] Furling

Peter/Michael Hay phay at netcom.ca
Mon Jan 4 17:29:54 PST 1999

From: "Peter/Michael Hay" <phay at netcom.ca>

As some of you may recall I purchased #384 last October.  Since then I have
been wondering about the furling.  All of the Alberg 30's I have seen either
have no furling or have the original forestay and a separate furler (sail
mounted on wire) that can be raised or lowered.  I was told that this system
is not suitable for partial furling and I began to have doubts.  In
retrospect however it would seem that having a furler that can easily be
doused makes sense if you want to hank on a #1 or #2 or jib (my furler has a
#3 on it).
I have not seen this system on any other boats (my experience is limited).
Is this something unqiue to the Alberg and does anyone know who made the
furling mechanism?
Unfortunately I have had only one chance to use the boat since I bought it,
so I don't know much about how it will utimately handle.

Peter Hay
London, ON Canada
#384 Rubicon
"on the hard"