[alberg30] Gas to Diesel

Forhan, Thomas Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov
Thu Jan 21 10:01:23 PST 1999

From: "Forhan, Thomas" <Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov>

	I know I'm on thin ice here, with  possible responses like "why not
rebuild the A4, why worry, etc". , so let me explain a little.

	Ten days ago I helped deliver a Valiant 40 offshore from
Wrightsville Beach NC to Ft. Lauderdale (yes, the North Atlantic in
January!). The first two days it was pretty calm, and we motored for about
48 hours (a front came through and the second two days were surfing south in
a gale force northwesterly-no engine required!)

	Anyway, the additional range from increased fuel efficiency and a
properly sized engine does have its appeal- we are vaguely considering
moving Calliope south to the Bahamas for next winter. So I find myself
wondering about the specifics of a conversion. So here are some questions:

	The Atomic 4 supposedly puts out 30 hp, but we reach hull speed way
before the engine is near maximum output. I see some people convert to 30hp
Yanmars, but isn't this excessive?  I think the old time rule of thumb was
one hp per 1000 lbs displacement. For years I did extended cruising on a
5500 lb 27' Dufour, loaded to about 7000 lbs, and never felt like I needed
more than the 13hp of the Volvo MD6A. The Valiant, loaded to about 33000 lbs
had 43hp, the owner reports it is always adequate. What hp is really
required to move an A30?

	I understand the early boats (Calliope is #287) are easier to
convert because there is no liner to modify, and I'd need another fuel tank,
but what else needs to be changed. Can you use the existing shaft? Certainly
the prop has to change...

	I hear there is a market for good running A4s -which mine is. Anyone
know what they go for?

	Thanks

	Tom F.