[alberg30] Re: Considering Purchase

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Mon Jan 4 11:14:17 PST 1999

From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>

> Brian Zinser said:
> 	[snip]
> However, I have located an Alberg 30 and am close to making an offer,
> contingent upon a satisfactory purchase survey.  The boat (sorry, I don't
> have the hull number) was manufactured in 1966 and has a '66 Graymarine
> Seascout 91 gasoline engine.  Does anybody have this engine?  And, if so,
> is it reliable?  If not, how much should I expect to spend to install a
> diesel replacement?

The Graymarine engines have a good reputation.  Also, there is a
company that specializes in them and sells "new" engines.  I don't
know what they charge.

Installing a diesel will run you around $6K to $10K depending on how
handy you are.  I'm told that a Yanmar makes a good replacement on
the older boats where there is no fiberglass pan under the engine
to conflict with the oil pan.  Jim Davis can give you more info on
that conversion.

> The hull and decks appear to be in good shape.  Unlike my '76 Catalina,
> there appears to be no crazing on the topside.  However, the current owner
> has painted the hull (no evidence of the topsides) with Petit Easy Poxy
> about 3 times, most recently about 3 years ago.  He applied it himself with
> a roller.  Are there any problems with this coating and application method?

I've used EasyPoxy on the boot stripe before, and it's good paint.  I
now tend to use Brightsides (a single-part polyurethane) because I find
it easier to apply.  Neither of these is going to last as long as the
two-part polyurethanes (e.g., Awlgrip, Imron), but they are considerably
easier and safer to handle.  As for the application, how good does it
look?

> I have been watching the market here on the upper lakes for the last 2-3
> years.  Most of the boats that have transacted have been early '70 models.
> Could anyone give me a ballpark figure on what a fair value would be for
> boat of this vintage, with the Gray engine.  Boat has had few modifications
> and is in good shape (I will have lamination tested).  Main sail and #2 jib
> will probably have to be replaced.

I'm hesitant to give pricing.  For one thing, I see a lot more asking
prices than I do selling prices.  Also, location and condition can make
a big difference.  Interestingly enough, the presence of a diesel seems
to make less difference than the cost of one would imply.  On the
Chesapeake Bay, I'd expect a good boat to sell in the upper teens.
I've known of "project" boats going for less than $5K.

> Thank you in advance for any replies.  I have admired the Alberg 30 since I
> first saw one in Montrose Harbor, Chicago over 15 years ago.  Its classic
> lines mysteriously navigated my dingy over to the star dock on with it was
> moored so I could see what type of boat it was.  After 15 years of
> dreaming, I'm ready to move up.

I think it's important to love the boat you sail, so I can empathize
with your feelings.  I hope you are happy with whatever decision you
make.

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/