[alberg30] Re: Considering Purchase

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Mon Jan 4 15:34:07 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Brian,
Welcome aboard!  I guess it's no too easy to get around the boatyards right
now after the storm.  I have a friend in Diamandale, who is SNOWED IN, even by
Michigan Standards.  I went to MSU, and used to sail on lake lansing, probably
more than I should have, but that's another story.
  We seem to have the same taste and general budget in boats.
Last year when my wife and I decided to 'move up' from our beautiful,
immaculate, sound, well equippped, wonderful handling and sailing Alberg 22
(NOT a Cape Dory 22 or Typhoon senior....don't get me started!)We decided that
we would want to move up to another tradtional keel boat, with the shear
slanted the right way, and the transom facing the right way.
The 25 foot Rhodes Meridian, the 29 foot Rhodes Ranger,
The Alberg/Pearson Triton,  The Sparkman and Stephens Tartan 27, were all
underconsideration.  And of course, the Alberg 30 , which we ended up with,
Stargazer, #255, 1967.
We always buy fixer-uppers, so price is always negotioable.  The smaller boats
on the list I had seen for 2 to 4 thousand, depending on what she needed.  I
saw a couple of slightly neglected, but going-concern Tritons in the 5-6
thousand category. Vanguards, the 32 foot Phil Rhodes /Pearson design, always
hold a slightly higher value, unless they are a real mess. Very nice boats
though.
So basicaly all the boats on this list were well made in the early 60's before
they knew how much they could scrimp on hull and bulkhead thickness, etc.
It's really up to you- how often are you going to be out in 25 kt. plus
weather when the the 30 feet and 9000 lbs of the Alberg 30 will keep you
dri(er) and moving, or for thousands less would the Tartan 27 do?
As far as the Alberg 30 you are looking at goes, there was some variation in
the different production runs, and the early boats had masonite cores in the
decks, instead of balsa core, and that seems to have fewer problems.  The
later boats had better made hatches though..  The later boats had liners
inserted, and I've heard arguments either way about them.  Without the liner,
like my boat, there are these three salty  shelves to port of the teak Ice
box, which I really like!!!
I found my Alberg 30 at the Long Island Maritime Musuem.  Dan, the previous
owner, was reconfiguring her interior for a single handers circumnavigator
layout.  He put in a rebuilt volvo, and did a lot of good work.
Unfortunately, he ran out of steam and bread, and at the worst possible
moment, got himself caught in a storm off Breezy point Brooklyn.  The main
tore, the rollerfurler jammed, and the engine failed.  He had Sea Tow tow him
to the museum, where he donated her on the spot.  She sat all summer and fall,
and finaly, at the Holloween party, they accpeted our rediculously low offer,
just so they wouldn't haveto watch her all winter. So now, warts and all,
she's ours.
If we hadnt found her, I know we couldnt have afforded  a better Alberg 30,
and I would have been happy with the Tartan 27 or the Triton!
I cant help you with the engine question; I'm still learning alot about that
myself.
But whatever you do, have fun!
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255