[alberg30] Re: Boom Gallows

alberg30 alberg30 at planet.net
Tue Jan 19 06:11:04 PST 1999

From: "alberg30" <alberg30 at planet.net>

Greg: here's some concerns of mine on the boom gallows idea.

How high do you make it?Maybe I have a stretched and sagging main, but my
boom is kinda low with the main up , so the boom gallows would have to be
adjustable- maybe even swing outa the way so the boom could be free.

Dumb question:I've never used a boom gallows- do you use it with the main
up? And if so do you lash the boom into the gallows for support. Sounds
crazy to me... or is everyone talking about the main being stowed and just
securing the boom.

If it swung outta the way would it slide up and down- vertical. Or maybe
rotate out of the way like a dodger support?

Any concerns about extra weight in the aft end of the boat. It's all I can
do to keep things out of the cockpit and get weight up front. What would
this add?

And what are your thoughts on a way to support the stainless tubing fore
and aft? A disadvantage of mounting in the aft part of the cockpit, on
deck,is you're limited for lateral support- fore and aft. If you mount
forward you might be able to use the depth of the cockpit, the combings or
even the forward coach house bulkhead for support of the tubes.

I like the idea of stainless poles with decorative rope work. I'm thinking
of  some kind of bracket for a base and then maybe telescoping tubes or a
tube with a codder pin on inside th other. Get the idea? Then the gallows
could be adjusted up or down.

How many positions would you put in the wooden gallows part? Three? Port,
starboard and amid ships? Or more?

PS -Got the the Jpeg files in two pieces a .dat file and another file with
no suffix. This haven't seen that before can you send some other version of
a jpeg or jpg file, or even a gif or bmp so i can see th gallows.

Excellent topic,

Joe #499
"One Less Traveled"