[alberg30] Re: Boom Gallows

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue Jan 19 14:17:17 PST 1999

Joe,
    Well, in my experience with a boom gallows it was only used to
secure the boom with the sail down. VERY useful in rough weather or when
rolling around in a swell but no wind. Mine had, if I recall correctly,
angled pieces that ran aft from the main tubes, a lot like the old
fashioned roll bars on race cars (like mine). It was not really in the
way at all, though probably would conflict with the awning hoop I have
on Brigadoon II.  I found it very nice to have. It was, of course, below
the travel of the boom when sailing and I never had the boom hit the
gallows. I don't think I'd want an adjustable version that might not be
totally secure. These things have to be rigid. People lean on them, grab
them in a seaway, etc. I recall a couple of major thunderstorms off
Annapolis - 70 knots for five minutes - and it was very good to have the
aft end of the boom well-secured. This was on a schooner and it was not
really possible to have a gallows for the forward boom which was always
harder to secure. She was a gaff rigger so a topping lift was not an
option.
                                            - Gordon White A-275