[alberg30] Re: Gas to Diesel

mgrosh mgrosh at shore.intercom.net
Thu Jan 21 12:18:45 PST 1999

From: "mgrosh" <mgrosh at shore.intercom.net>

Tom,

I converted my Alberg from an A4 to a Yanmar 2QM15 (15 shaft horsepower) and
I wouldn't think of going back to gas. The Diesel has a 1 1/2:1 reduction
gear ( possibly 2:1) and I am swinging a 12X8 wheel. At full ahead, it will
push Checkmate at 7 1/2 knots or so, but I keep my speed at about 5 knots-it
sounds like a fast idle, but I have no tach. The biggest advantage I have
found (other than the safety issue of gas/diesel) is the increase in backing
power. I never have to kedge off a bank any more when aground-I find myself
aground often gunkholing-of course, piling up with a full head of
steam...... I have found that backing full astern stirs up the bottom and
tends to send bits of shell through the intake, which hulls the water
impeller. I have installed a basket type strainer as a result. I am still
using a 1" shaft, but where the new engine mounts line up decides whether a
new shaft is in order.

I don't think the 2qm15 is made any more, but I believe an equivalent is
available (power wise). Mine is fairly noisy and is somewhat hard to start
in cold weather. Newer engines are also lighter (I think they go without
piston liners).

Michael
Checkmate #220