[alberg30] Re: Gas to Diesel

Thomas Parks parks24 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 21 12:18:15 PST 1999

From: "Thomas Parks" <parks24 at hotmail.com>

Tom,
  My opinion, if you are looking for fuel economy you can't beat the
diesel. I have #48 and it was refitted in 1991 with a 18hp. Westerbake
and I think it has a 13/9 prop, three blade. At 2200 RPM I run at about
6 knots. When we came across from Milwaukee to South Haven last summer
we motored about half the way(July 26) and used the engine probably
another 15 hours going in and out of port the rest of the season. When I
filled the tank(it holds 15 gal.)it took a whole 3.2 gal to fill it in
November when we pulled her out of the water.
  I have a good friend who has a 35ft. C&C who sails the whole month of
August on vacation on Lake Michigan. He fills up just before leaving and
when he returns he usually needs about 12gal. and he runs his motor a
lot. He feels if he's not doing 3 knots with sails it's time to start
the engine and August on Lake Michigan you get lots of those kinds of
days!!
  On the Dufour, we sailed a 27 ft. with the Volvo for 9 years with the
above person, set up like you mentioned and it had plenty of power. It's
just too bad it had such a short stick and was slow as the dickens.
  Don't know if that helps any or not. I'm told the Westerbake goes in
pretty easy, mine was done before we purchased our boat.
Good Luck,

Tom Parks
Tradewinds #48