[alberg30] Re: Gas to Diesel

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Thu Jan 21 07:25:15 PST 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

Tom,
    My boat had a low-time Westerbeke 21 when I bought it. I have the
older hull, # 275. Have no idea how it was installed, but I do have an
18 x 18" Bomar hatch in the cockpit sole which is a great help for
access in general. At full RPMs I  am at hull speed in calm water, but I
like having what seems like adequate power to punch into a sea. I have a
13" diameter 3-blade prop,  marked "13R11" so I assume the pitch is 11.
I generally cruise about 2200 RPM while max is around 3,500.
    The Westerbeke starts reliably and does a good job but is a tight
fit. There is no way to change the air filter with the engine in the
boat. The water pump impeller and oil filter are a tight fit but not
impossible. I guess all engines are tight in a 30 ft sailboat.

                                    - Gordon White A-275