[alberg30] Re: Gas to Diesel

Marjorie Goettle mgoettle at erols.com
Fri Jan 22 11:15:23 PST 1999

From: Marjorie Goettle <mgoettle at erols.com>

Re: Gas to diesel:

Our A30 had a new Yanmar 2GM 15hp when we bought her in 1982.  We have
put about 3000 hours on the Yanmar since then.  It has been very
reliable.  Except for normal maintenance replacements recommended in the
manual, our only problems have been one oil pressure sensor switch this
summer, and agonies until we had the tank pumped out from a bad tank of
diesel.  On the advice of our mechanic who stresses that a diesel should
not run slowly for long periods, we cruise at about 2700 RPMs.  Our fuel
consumption varys between 2 and 2 1/2 hours per gallon.

Here are some other not so obvious reasons for wanting a diesel for
reliability and fuel economy if your are considering a Bahamas cruise.
You will use your motor a lot more than you expect.  You will be going
head on into the Trades on your way down, and should run between the
numerous strong fronts that do not begin to ease until south of Nassau.
Even on the way home, the definition of a "weather window" must include
calm if you ever wish to get anywhere without being bashed.  Unless you
have wind or solar recharging systems, you will run your engine a lot
recharging your batteries.

Also, if by the Bahamas, you mean south of Nassau, you will not be going
into marinas.  The Abacos are much like Florida in having marinas and
other stuff that we take for granted, but  in the wonderful cruising
areas further SE that we loved, life will be different.  We went 4
months without coming into a dock. I do not believe that we were unusual
in that respect.  But, if you are like us, the Exumas and Long Island
are where you will want to be.  George Town had a fuel dock assessable
at high tide, but the cruisers' word was that the fuel was suspect.
Docks in other settlements usually were in shallow water.  Most did not
sell fuel or had none until "de barge come".  You will refuel off the
few major settlements via jerry jugs dinghied to shore and then to a gas
station and back (hitchhike, walk, or whatever).  Fuel efficency becomes
more and more important as your back becomes more and more tired.
Additionally, that year gas prices were usually $3.50 - 5.00/gallon.
Diesel was much cheaper.

Reliability is extremely important, obviously, as parts will most likely
have to be imported from the States.  Sometimes, they get "lost" in
customs.  The year we were down there, an ex-Alberger sailed back from
Nassau and used his dinghy to tow his boat into Fort Lauderdale after
waiting weeks in Nassau for a transmission.  The US company shipped them
several times, but they got lost in the black customs hole.  Of course,
this would be the same with gas or diesel, but having a diesel has an
addtional advantage.  Most other cruisers have diesels.  Few have gas
engines.  Cruisers help each other.  Everyone listens to their VHF.
Someone listening probably will have the same engine as you and will
help you repair it, or even may have just the part you need.  We saw
that happen again and again.  Cruising is wonderfully different down
there.

Marjorie Goettle
Jubilant #435