[alberg30] Re: Boom Gallows

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sun Jan 24 15:29:44 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Greg,
I saw a laminated gallows on a 36 footer with a heavy wooden boom.  The
scantlings were roughly 5" in the for and aft direction all around,  8" in the
vertical direction across the top, and about 6" wide for the vertical
components.  There were bronze pipes which stabilized the gallows in the for
and aft direction.  West has SS fittings for making bow pulpits and dodger
frames and the like that could substitute for the bronze. It would be alot of
work to make it so it looks right, but it certainly would be less expensive
than the options you are looking at.
  I'm reading Humphrey Barton's 1950 book Westward Crossing now, which  is
about his crossing the Atlantic in a 25 foot Vertue class sloop.
He has a boom gallows which is diagrammed in the book.  It has a wooden
crosspiece, and two vertical aluminum pipes.  The pipes ride in pipes of
slightly larger diameter that go through the deck, so the height of the
gallows is adjustable.  It's a good book.
Take Care,
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255