[alberg30] Re: Boom Gallows

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Wed Jan 27 11:35:41 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Greg,
I wouldn't trust 1" SS pipe to be strong enough to actualy make up the entire
gallows.  That is pretty maleable, and if the mainsheet catches it on a wild
jibe, or a dock line gets fouled around it when youre leaving a dock, or a tow
line fouls it.....all the "O" hour stuff that Murphy's law hands us, The SS
wouldn't hold up.  I would only trust the SS pipe as for and aft supports,
traveling in the diagonal direction from gallows to deck, holding something
much stronger as the gallows itself.  Someday when youre really using that
gallows; leaning against the boom while trying to reef or furl the main in
really rough conditions, you'll be glad you made that gallows really strong
and inflexible.  When you really need it, you don't want that gallows to move.
But , that's just my opinion.  :)
Take care,
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255